Protein bars are actually really easy to make on a budget. You just need four basic ingredients: oatmeal, nut butter, cream and protein powder. That’s it – you combine all four, chill overnight and slice into bars.
Protein homemade bars works out a lot cheaper than buying readymade and it’s a lot healthier, too.
You can use these bars for breakfast or as a snack, depending on how you slice them. They are ideal pre-workout (sessions 1hr+) and post workout (if you are trying to gain weight and put on muscle) snacks.
It’s also an easy way to eat more quality food if you are really skinny and you need to bulk up. If you are trying to lose weight, one of these bars in the morning will help you cut back on snacking during the day keeping you fuller longer.
This recipe is based on protein powder. We use it, because it’s cheap. It raises the protein content of the bars and it adds flavour. We use vanilla but you can use any type of protein powder you want as long as it has a flavour – if you use plain protein powder, your bars will come out plain.
4 1/2 cups ( 400g ) uncooked oatmeal (quick oats)
1 1/3 cups ( 340g ) peanut butter
1 cup ( 250ml ) coconut cream or milk
5 scoops ( 150g ) whey vanilla protein powder
- Open a pack or a can of coconut cream. Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Add vanilla whey protein powder and whisk until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Add peanut butter and mix everything together with a spoon.
- Add uncooked oatmeal and mix well. You may need to use your hands at this point.
- Flatten the mix in a dish.
- Chill in the fridge overnight (or minimum 2hrs) then cut into 12 or 16 bars.